gmail anyone?

Brian Durant linuxnewbiedk at yahoo.dk
Thu Feb 3 08:00:39 UTC 2005

 --- Antonie Kriek <akriek at gmail.com> skrev:
> Hi
>
> All of the email companies do this. The only
> difference is that Google
> tells you that they are doing this.
>
> I have my personal email that I use for private
> stuff and then I have
> me gmail account that I use for mailing lists and
> normal day to day
> email.
>
> They can scan my email as much as they want - its a
> cool service and I
> like not having to delete my mail.
>
> They are also very good at filtering spam while
> hotmail sucks with spam!
>
> GMail ROCKS!!!!!
>
> Antonie
>

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:33:08 +0100 (CET), Brian
> Durant
> <linuxnewbiedk at yahoo.dk> wrote:
> > BTW, there has been criticism in Denmark and other
> EU
> > countries about the direct marketing mechanism
> that
> > Google is talking about using. While nothing is
> set in
> > stone at this time, A perusing of indiviual's
> e-mails
> > is forbidden in a large number of countries, which
> in
> > principle also makes it against the law to present
> > individuals with individualized advertisements.
> While
> > I salute the Google initiative, I would urge
> everyone
> > that has a Gmail account to petition Google to
> find
> > another advertising model/solution. The original
> text
> > is in Danish below, if there is anyone on the list
> > that is interedted
> >
> > "Der har været en del kritik af det kommende
> > mail-system Google Gmail. Kritikken er fokuseret
>> > gennemgåelse af forbrugerens e-mail, til brug af
> > direkte markedsføring. Det er forbudt i en række
> lande
> > at gennemgå personers e-mail, hvilket i princippet
> > også gør det ulovligt af præsentere vedkommende
> for
> > persontilpassede reklamer."
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Brian

I am looking forward to trying Gmail, however as I see
it, it really doesn't matter what other companies do
without telling customers. Any company that does it,
whether they tell their customers or not is
potentially breaking the law in a number of countries.
There are a lot of things that companies can do in
both registering and monitoring customers in the
States that is unacceptable practice in other parts of
the world. Just because it is done doesn't mean it is
acceptible or desirable policy. My two cents was just
to make people aware of the issue and to use their
right to petition Google to find another model.

Cheers,

Brian