Time and Date wrong

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 07:24:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 06:12, Judy & Lindsay Roberts wrote:
> OK.  I see what to do on the site.
> I found the file and loaded it into Gedit but I see it is Read Only.   As I
> have only loaded Linux (Ubuntu) for the very first time 12 hours ago, I do
> not know how to change a file to be readable, or where to start in putting
> such a command.  I am the only user of the system.   I see a lot of # and $
> signs given with commands on the list from time to time, but I still cant
> make out what to do with them.
> some ABC's for a newbie please!
> Linz
>
> > > I note that the time and date are running 13 hours ahead.
> > > I have been to Computer, System Configuration, Time and Date, but
> nothing
> > > all happens.  A local user said that a password box should come up and
> then
> > > it can be changed.   It seems to be broken.   How do I proceed?
> >
> > is your BIOS time in local time or universal time?  Maybe this apply
> > to your case:

You'll see two symbols in front of commands, either the dollar sign $ or
the hash sign #. If it's the $ it means it's a command you can issue as
ordinary user, if it's a # , then you'll need to "become" root to issue
it.
Open a terminal and you'll notice that after your user name, domain name
and current working directory you'll see the $ sign. THis tells you you
are logged in a user, with user only pivileges (typically, this means
you can look round the system ,read system files but can't change them.
As user you can only change stuff inside your own user area.
To change to root (#) type "sudo xxx" (where xxx is name of command).
When the $ changes to a # , you know you are operating with root
privileges (meaning you can write to any file on the system.)

hope this helps a little

regards

David