How To JSP Container with Apache2 on Ubuntu 5.10?

Derrick Hudson dman13 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 21:12:08 UTC 2005

On 12/31/05, Soo-Hyun Choi <soohyunc at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On 12/30/05, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> > Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to work on JSP (Java Server Pages) on top of Apache2 with

Apache is a web server, but is not a JSP container.  You will need a
JSP container to process and execute the JSPs.

> > > Am I still missing something? Maybe, Tomcat 5?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > Then, would there
> > > somebody to tell me how to install and get it to work?
> >
> > Debian.  I get mine from Sid, since Ubuntu still doesn't see fit to include
> > it.

> By the way, what do you mean by that you got Tomcat 5 from Debian Sid?
> Would you tell me little bit more on this?

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/tomcat5

You can add a line to /etc/apt/sources.list that refers to debian Sid
(aka "unstable").  If you do, you should also add a priority to
/etc/apt/preferences so that apt doesn't prefer Sid packages over
Ubuntu ones.  By doing this you can use aptitude or synaptic or
whatever to install the packages.

-D