X11R6.9/7 for breezy

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat Dec 31 17:46:54 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 12:07 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Senectus . wrote:
> > Just don't expect much support, Dapper is mostly pre-alpha at this stage.. :-P
>
> ??  Dapper is _mostly_ fine.  There are a few problem bits.
> --
> derek

Hum, for me I would say the truth is in-between your two opinions ;-)
I would say it's surprisingly stable and functional given where it is in
its development cycle, machine boots, X starts, Gnome starts, and the
most of the desktop works okay. So I would say it's very unfair to call
it pre-alpha ;-) I would say early beta.
But mostly because of a hardware support regression which renders my old
SCSI CD writer completely useless, I would call it pre-beta ;-)
On the plus side, I don't notice that many Dapper-specific bugs on the
desktop side of things, so with 3 and half months left of work, the
potential for a highly polished release, as was announced for Dapper, is
definitely there...  I like that :-)

Right now nnot much is happening on Dapper, I guess everyone is on hols,
can't wait everyone to be back up to speed, seeing Dapper grow up day by
day is very exciting, as is discovering and filing bugs...

--
Vince