sudo blocks aliases

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Dec 30 04:41:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:20:44 -0800 (PST)
James Diehl <jms_diehl at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> It's not a shell called Ubuntu.  In the synaptic pkg. mgr., if you switch to status mode, at the end of the line for each item under installed version/latest version, it will say Ubuntu or whatever.  If you open the tabs in the lower box, you can get a description and explanation for the items.

I'm utterly puzzled by your posts, James. Not even sure what the heck you
are talking about.

The standard shell in Ubuntu is BASH

peter at prospero:~ $ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

It doesn't lack anything. As far as I know it's a complete and functional
"Bourne Again Shell".  "sh" is also symlinked to bash:

peter at prospero:~ $ ls -l `which sh`
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 4 2005-10-22 14:50 /bin/sh -> bash

I have no idea what on earth this is about - if someone understands it, do
please enlighten me...

Peter

 --
Unix is hard to learn. The process of learning it is one of multiple small
epiphanies. -- Neal Stephenson