Dual Boot Problem

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Fri Dec 30 04:34:02 UTC 2005

Michael Richter a écrit :
>>I don't know any other words to explain it!  I talked to several people
>>that use both programs, and they all said "Don't run Linux, then Windows!"
> How about running Linux, then Windows, then Linux, then Windows, then DOS
> (yes, DOS), then QNX then Linux then Windows?  Because that's what I just
> did this morning.  With no hitch.

> My suggestion for the future is talk to people who know what they're talking
> about instead of people who spread misinformation instead of saying "I don't
> know".

> They offered no technical explanation, but after looking at the languages

>>and command structure, I can only surmise that it has something to do with
>>either the Debian nature, or the difference in binary.

> Which languages?  Which command structures?  What in the bloody blue blazes
> are you talking about?!

> UNIX and its clones are mostly written in C with some assembler tweaking
> here and there.  Windows XP is mostly written in C with some assembler
> tweaking here and there.  Languages have nothing to do with anything!  And
> as for command structures -- what you're saying is about as meaningful as
> saying "don't speak Chinese before speaking English because otherwise your
> brain will be unable to process English words ever again".

> So, James, sit down.  Stop blithering.  Take stock.  Then explain what you
> did: coherently and step-by-step.  Don't speculate on reasons why things
> happened--no insult intended, but you are clearly technically ill-equipped
> for such speculation at this time--just report the facts as clearly, lucidly
> and completely as you can.  I'm sure that someone on this list -- maybe even
> me, given that I multi-boot practically for a living -- can help you figure
> out what went wrong.

> And for future reference?  Your friends?  The ones that told you that you
> can't dual-boot XP and Ubuntu?  They're wrong and they're also dishonest
> about it.  Don't go to them for help anymore.  They will do more to damage
> your computer and your ability to use it than a fire axe would.
Maybe James ignores that Windows has to be installed first, and Linux
after, with the Linux bootloader -lilo or Grub- on the MBR, and then he
maybe got once the Windows bootloader erased, the other time the Ubuntu
(or any Linux) bootloader erased by the Windows bootloader when he
reinstalled it, and so on ?

I learned recently to reinstall Grub by chrooting from a mounted system
under Live CD, by the way, thanks to someone who had the patience to
show me. It's most practicle! never know when it can be necessary to
reinstall a Windows :)
James : do you know about LInuxLoOader : Lilo ? and Grub ? and the
Windows loader ? Is my hypothesis possible ?
Best Greetings, Joyce Markoll.

PS! what are 'bloody blue blazes' ?  I'm not english native langage
talking :D