Ubuntu 5.10 minumum requirements

Mike Bird mgb-ubuntu at yosemite.net
Wed Dec 28 03:19:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 18:42, cogyfarm wrote:
> Felix Miata wrote:
> >What's less true is the minimum HD space requirement. Trying to fit any
> >modern Linux on less than about 4GB is simply a bad idea, even if you
> >ultimately succeed.
> >
> I would suggest you take a serious look at Engarde before you say a
> modern linux can't/shouldn't run in a 4GB space!  Its simply erroneous!

Correct.  The amount of space needed depends upon what you want
to do.  Useful Linux server configurations can fit in 600MB,
plus space for whatever data is needed.  We have a gateway
server at one site which does DNS, email, routing, dialup, and
web proxy cache - on a 1.3GB hard drive in an old P75 with 40MB
RAM.  The software on it is all up to date - Fedora in that
case but Ubuntu and Debian are about the same size.

--Mike Bird