Wanting to run Linux on laptop (Newbie stuff)

ron at crump.id.au ron at crump.id.au
Wed Dec 21 22:15:55 UTC 2005

Hi,

Quick intro. I am a reasonably computer competent person, I work
on computers all day, programming and the like, but not, generally,
sysadmin-type stuff. I am used to working on both Windows and Linux/unix
systems

Anyway, in the new year I hope to get my hands on a Toshiba TE2100
laptop that is being made redundant at my wife's employer. I would
like to use this as an opportunity to get more familiar with linux
and have a machine I can do some of my linux-based work on at home.

I'm not fond of the dual boot idea for my home desktop machine - I
have a nice, stable (at least by Bill's standards) windows set-up
and don't want to risk it becoming flaky.

So I am thinking ubuntu would be a good idea (mainly redhat at work,
but I like to be different). I'd like it to only have linux, but I
read something on the web about people maintaining a dual-boot
capability just so that they can access BIOS settings. Is this right?
If so, how small can the Windows XP partition be made?

Any comments, including pooh-poohing the idea altogether if you think
a laptop is not a good place to start or you have some experience of
the TE2100 with linux, appreciated.

Cheers,
Ron Crump