How to _DISABLE_ Bonobo Activation FrameWork, SSH Agent, GNome Keyring Daemon and Mapping Daemon FOR GOOD

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Dec 21 16:31:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:01:32 +0500
Asif Lodhi <asif.lodhi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to _disable_ the following services for good - they should never
> activate again:
>
>                 Bonobo Activation FrameWork
>                 SSH Agent
>                 GNome KeyRing Daemon
>                 Mapping Daemon
>

> I just do _not_ want to have additional load on my system, which is just
> 1.7GHz Celeron, as I want to use the yet-to-be-freed resources for tasks
> that add _more_ value to my work.

I think you misunderstand how this works. Daemons do not run constantly in
the manner you appear to think. If you run "top" in a terminal you will
see that most processes at any given time are "sleeping".

For example, currently on my machine I have

Tasks:  94 total,   2 running,  92 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie

The fact that a process is "listed" does not mean that it is running in
the sense that it is gobbling resources - just that it is "ready to run".
If you check the %CPU and %MEM columns in "top" you will see that most of
the things you are so concerned about are using minuscule resources, most
of the time.

>The services mentioned above keep
> starting again and again no matter how many times you "End" them using
> System Monitor.  I haven't gone into the detail of their inner workings
> but suspect very rightly that Bonobo is Linux equivalent of the
> Microsoft's ActiveX

Umm... no. There is (thank goodness) , no Linux equivalent to ActiveX.

> and any CORBA object on my system can be activated
> remotely by anyone.

Nothing can be activated remotely on an Ubuntu machine by default, because
no servers run by default. Nothing is listening. If you install servers,
then you decide the policy according to which you want those services to
be accessible.

> Same goes with SSH:  it can be used to remotely
> connect to my system without using a password as the brief description
> of its web page suggests.

Not by default, and only by the use of public/private keypairs. Since you
control that, the risk of passwordless login that you fear is non-existent.
SSH is precisely for the purpose of safe, encrypted communication.
Passwordless login can only be achieved if configured, and as I said
above, only by using keypairs. You have nothing to worry about. If you
want to stop sshd listening on the internet interface, any simple firewall
like, for example, "Firestarter" can be easily configured to drop port 22.
If you use a router you can configure that to block/drop connections as
well. Unless you have installed openssh-server, you only have the client
for ssh anyway, so this is a non-issue in a default Ubuntu install.

> I would be very thankful if you guys could tell me a way to disable
> these services once and for all - so that they don't start again ever.
> How I can uninstall/remove them from my system?

I think you are being fearful for no reason, and over-concerned about
the processes you name, based on a misunderstanding of the way the OS
actually works.

--
Unix is hard to learn. The process of learning it is one of multiple small
epiphanies. -- Neal Stephenson