Reasons for ikeeping an MTA (was [ubuntu-users] Re: Ubuntu is under attack)

Dick Davies rasputnik at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 11:10:30 UTC 2005

On 20/12/05, Tim Frost <timfrost at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> If no MTA is installed by default, I *can* guarantee that *all* mail
> messages that installed utilities attempt to generate *MUST* go
> to /dev/null, as there is no tool to send them anywhere else.  This may
> be fine for a user who only has M$ as a reference poijt, but the idea
> does NOT pass muster for anybody who has ever administered any *ix
> system.

Can you explain where these essential emails are going to go?
Because unless you configure it, they'll go to roots mailspool. Which isn't
going to be checked anyway.

In the 'out of the box' config, all you'll get is /var filling up.

If you're going to setup the aliases file, is it *really* that much
extra work to choose
an MTA (from several ON THE CD)?

[
At least you can run apt-get.
Spare a thought for those of us who don't even get a network out of the box.
If Santa is subscribed, I've been a good boy all year.
Please add wpasupplicant to Dapper base - cheers :)
]

http://number9.hellooperator.net/