Ubuntu Live and sshd

Yoram Hekma yoram.hekma at unikaas.xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 20 09:14:18 UTC 2005

Mario Splivalo wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 14:28 -0500, Al Gordon wrote:
>

>>On 12/6/05, Mario Splivalo <mario.splivalo at mobart.hr> wrote:
>>

>>>Ubuntu Live doesn't come with sshd? Can that be fixed?
>>>

>>sudo apt-get install openssh-server
>>
>>It'll only work until you reboot, however.
>>

>I'm talking about ubuntu-live. I can't apt-get install anything there.
>
>I'd prefer Ubuntu live over Knoppix, but, on Knoppix I could do:
>
>/etc/init.d/ssh start
>
>Ubuntu Live doesn't come with sshd. I just tought it would be handy to
>have sshd prepared when booting from Ubuntu Live CD.
>
>Is there any special reason why sshd is not on liveCD?
>
>	Mario

May I ask why you prefer the Ubuntu live cd? The way I see it (which may
very well be wrong, if I am, please tell me) that Ubuntu Live CD is
primary there to see if your hardware is supported. If you want a
"rescue" cd, or a functional working environment, Knoppix is the better
choice IMO. Ubuntu live cd is slow and hasn't got some (in my opinion)
essential packages.
This isn't to say the CD is useless, far from it. It just isn't designed
for operational tasks.

Again, if I am dead wrong, flame away:)