Things I already hate about Kubuntu (new user)

Terry North terrencenorth at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 20 00:34:47 UTC 2005

This list is not one, I've already received help here and on the forum.

1. Installation.
First, it reminded me of Windoze, one thing I don't need.  No input at all.
Tried choosing "expert".  Did not look like offering choices.  And no setting of
the root password.  That really threw me.  When the system did not recognise my
password, I thought I had messed up (did not remember not setting it) and
re-installed.  The re-installation worked better in that I was able to get the
login manager instead of "Out of Range".

2. Security.
Anyone, and I mean anyone, can boot as root using Recovery Mode.  I took
advantage of that to set a root password.  Whether that stops anyone else using
Recovery Mode to gain root access I don't yet know.

3. Grub.
Ubuntu took it upon itself to lead the list in the boot loader.  Hey, I want to
be in charge of the Boot Loader!  It does not suit me right now (for obvious
reasons) to have Ubuntu as the default.  When I set out to change this, I came
up against various obstacles, more of which in a moment.

4. Screen Resolution.
I've now got 3 systems on my computer.  The other 2 are quite happy with the
settings I use and the settings result in them using exactly the same amount of
the available area - all of it.  Ubuntu wants to use less - with a good third of
and inch or more left black on all sides.  When I tried to find the tool to
check and, possibly, change the settings, it was nowhere to be found.

5. Only KDE and what about other utilities?
I wanted Kalarm, so I got Kubuntu 5.10 instead of Ubuntu 5.10.  But I'd like
gedit and, if possible, Nautilus (Konqueror stinks, methinks).  I paid $A9.90
for a one disk installation.  I would happily have paid more for a decent
installation if it was available.  While I'm at it, what would be wrong with a
tool such as System Settings opening in its own window instead of in Konqueror?
 And don't talk to me about "Help".  "This page is not available.  Have you
installed all the documentation?"

6. One touch and you buy it.
I was alarmed to discover that selecting anything in a list does not just select
the item, it opens it.  That is way out of left field and will take some getting
used to.

7. Administrator's tasks made harder.
A. I opened an administrative window from System Settings, which had decided to
open as a list in Konqueror.  Everything was greyed out, except, possibly, a
note telling me to click on the Administrator's button if I wanted to change
anything.  First, there was nothing to change.  Secondly, there was no
administrator's button.
B. So, that meant I had to edit menu.lst (to get a say in Grub).  Of course, the
file is read-only.  So, I'll go into Midnight Commander, I think, and change the
settings temporarily so that I can edit with Kate which has already opened the
file with the one touch and you buy it policy.  I cannot believe (ok, I do
believe it) there is no Midnight Commander or anything like it.
C. Next thought, open Kate, possibly from the root console.  Look for Help on
the subject (see above).  Could try chmod but I'm getting awfully sick of this.
D. Light goes on.  Login in as Root, open Kate, open file, edit, all's right
with the world.  Sorry, no can do.  Jeepers Creepers.