Ubuntu is under attack

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 15:53:04 UTC 2005

On 12/19/05, Jason Straight <jason at jeetkunedomaster.net> wrote:

[snip]

> I already see some of the stupifying of the desktop taking place and I don't
> like that trend. Linux is Linux, it's not meant to be windows, we don't need
> a windows clone, the whole point is that linux is an alternative for people
> who don't want the stupidity of windows. The first time KDE asks me if I
> really want to view the contents of /usr (I clicked on it didn't I?) I'm
> finding another desktop.
>
> And when kubuntu gets overly assnine about removing features or **HIDING
> MENU's** in konqueror, I'm going to be looking for another distro again. It's
> just stupid to assume just because someone wants an up to date distro (read -
> not debian) they must also be too dumb to understand the features of it.
>
> It's like removing the keyboard from the computer, just because it could be
> done doesn't mean it's a good idea, it removes too much functionality.

If you really mean that, and want all that power right at your
fingertips without having a "dumbed down" desktop, there is always
LFS, Gentoo or ROCK. If the progress of Ubuntu is to hard to stomach,
no-one is forcing you to stay you know... Freedom of choice and all
that.

I spent a good couple of years with ROCK Linux, compiling from source,
hacking packages etc. Very educational, but also incredibly tedious.
Some of us may just want a desktop that enables us to do our work. For
new users, that may be just the thing that makes them stay a Linux
user.

I am sorry, but elitist and snobbish attitudes was not was I expected
from the Ubuntu crowd.

--
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com>