Ubuntu is under attack

Jason Straight jason at jeetkunedomaster.net
Mon Dec 19 15:23:24 UTC 2005

On Sunday 18 December 2005 18:19, Rick Chagouri-Brindle wrote:
> Interestingly enough, this is why I am trying out Kubuntu at the moment
> . . . I like the flexibility, although I do miss the Ubuntu desktop
> approach too. I guess I can haver everything though!!!

Yeah, this is the reason I chose kubuntu as well, I was a long time user of
Redhat and Mandrake, but I grew very tired of the neutering they did to the
packages. I want my KDE to have the full power and options the developers
gave it, and I don't think I should have to go around unhacking it to get KDE
as it was meant to be.

I already see some of the stupifying of the desktop taking place and I don't
like that trend. Linux is Linux, it's not meant to be windows, we don't need
a windows clone, the whole point is that linux is an alternative for people
who don't want the stupidity of windows. The first time KDE asks me if I
really want to view the contents of /usr (I clicked on it didn't I?) I'm
finding another desktop.

And when kubuntu gets overly assnine about removing features or **HIDING
MENU's** in konqueror, I'm going to be looking for another distro again. It's
just stupid to assume just because someone wants an up to date distro (read -
not debian) they must also be too dumb to understand the features of it.

It's like removing the keyboard from the computer, just because it could be
done doesn't mean it's a good idea, it removes too much functionality.