Ubuntu is under attack

Bryann Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Sun Dec 18 03:12:20 UTC 2005

ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

> Message: 8 Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:42:51 +1030 From: squareyes
> <squareyes at internode.on.net> Subject: Re: Ubuntu is under attack To:
> Ubuntu Help and User Discussions <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

>>>There are people who believe that limiting user choices to that
>>>dictated by their personal religion is THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
>>>(Capitals in their thoughts.)  They have applied their doctrine
>>>to Gnome and Fedora, and have now started on Ubuntu.
>>>
>>>I don't claim that their purpose is to harm Ubuntu.
>>>
>>>I do claim that their approach is fundamentally flawed and
>>>incompatible with software freedom and will harm Ubuntu if
>>>not stopped.
>>>
>>>--Mike Bird
>>>

>Hi all,
>as a relatively new user, I am still finding my way around Ubuntu and Linux
>in general. I as a new user I do get the feeling that Ubuntu is being
>dumbed down,
>I thought  that the command line, terminal was central to linux, giving
>the user
>2 bites of the apple so to speak, a GUI and a terminal, and I have to
>admit I thought
>not being able to access a terminal from right click on desktop was a
>backward step.
>Why not keep the menu's with a button to allow access to all the hidden
>applications
>similar to "View - show hidden files" and keep the power users happy too?
>Take Care
>Winton

I think UBUNTU will live or die due to its users not  reviews.

Ubuntu is targeted to be simple to install or use. I use several distros
on different machines, but have seriously considered converting all of
them to ubuntu/kubuntu/xbuntu to make life simple.

many new linux/unix users really don't care about a terminal and are
likely to never use it. Those that need it are likely to put it back
quite easily wherever they want it. (my root and user terminals are on
my panel)

While we're at it I absentmindedly types xman in mine today...hey they
moved the manpages to help...:-)

when did that happen :-)

I want my manpages back in xman...so they scroll with a click...like old
times

Seriously I have several distros besides Ubuntu AND this eCS+x11 machine
i'm on tonight  Ubuntu is just as customizable. Want terminals...get eCS
and add x11 I've got bash tsch ash OS/2 4OS/2 Dos  and a few others...on
this one...along with X11 WPS and WIN/OS2 desktops

Point is the new person coming to Ubuntu Linux isn't entrenched in
command line use. When they get to that point of learning it's easy
enough to add. I would say more streamlined  for a Windows
replacement...not dumbed down...everything is still there you just have
to bring it to the surface.

The biggest "newbie" magazine "TUX" has Ubuntu as a winner...supposedly
from readers choice....and they are KDE pushers...
To me I really don't see much besides surface differences between
distros, but I've been using UNIX (and OS/2) since they both came into
existence (Windows Operating environment and later Operating sytem were
forbidden to use at my work due to insecurity).

Desktop use of Linux needs certain usability factors that aren't always
there. Linux is replaceing more Proprietary Unix and OS/2 stations than
windows particularly as OS/2 (from IBM) is at EOL. Look at the
"Redbooks" on migration from OS/2 and you see the homoginized Red Hat
(KDE and Gnome look the same) desktop. You can read that book and then
jump right in and use the Hoary or Breezy desktop. Look at the users
that are migrating and NEED to use a Linux. These people are the target
for Novell Red Hat Ubuntu etc. Not Developers and people who play around
with it. It's for the masses who NEED the free nonproprietary operating
System, and the Businesses, Banks and government people who have to
Migrate to Linux because Win32 is NOT a preferred option.

If you like Linux be thankful...if it need be simplified for their use
SO Be it. That also has brought Novell IBM etc. into the Linux camp.

This is turning into an editorial.

I'll go back to my semiretired corner :-).

By the way your hidden menu idea reminds me of Windows ME...
Not something to be reminded of.....

I had an ME computer...for about three days...
made a nice cat toy out of that CD

Bryann