Screen shutting off and refusing to turn back on

quinn quinn at the-cat.com
Fri Dec 16 03:32:34 UTC 2005

I am sure that it is just the screen, because the programs are still
running.  The last time this happened, in addition to trying
ctrl-alt-(each of the function keys in turn), I also typed some random
keys, and after I rebooted, I discovered that that had done something to
the messages in my mail window (which had been up when the screen went off).