INPROCESS Re: root password...[ubuntu 5.10 installation issues]

David Hart ubuntu at tonix.org
Wed Dec 14 14:56:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 10:01:37PM -0500, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> > Third: all distros tend to have strengths and weaknesses. Ubuntu has less
> > weaknesses than most, so I use it. sudo/root is just a peculiarity that is
> > pretty easy to live with, and easy to bypass if you feel strongly about
> > it. Simply do <sudo passwd root> and off you go. What's the problem?
>
> Actually it didn't take that long to find out from this thread that since
> I DO, as you say, "feel strongly about it" I could fix it. The biggest
> problem was that it felt like those who feel just as strongly the other
> way were getting offended because I knew I didn't want to use sudo
> before I read all the arguments for it. ( I never said I wouldn't read
> the arguments. It's just that at least for now, I wasn't taking my closed
> system there.)

Seeing as you've seen fit to comment on others above who caused you a
'problem', I think I'll add a comment or two of my own.

The only person I've seen express strong views on sudo/root is
yourself.

I was one of the first to reply to your request for help with the
'root problem' and the first to clearly show you to do 'sudo passwd
root' to fix that.

I haven't got strong views (and certainly not feelings) on sudo/root
either way and I'll let you into a little 'secret'.  I have root
enabled on _all_ my boxen (for reasons that I won't go into here).
I am certainly not offended if you choose to enable root, just puzzled
that someone would choose to install a new distro when time is so
short that they wouldn't have the opportunity to get the feel for it.

And, despite what you say above, you made it quite clear in a 100
line self described 'rant' relpy to one of my posts that you have no
intention of using sudo whatever the reasons.

What I do find slightly offensive, however, is that someone who clearly
has both the technical capability and the time (as amply demonstrated
by yourself over the last three days) chooses to use other people to
do the 'leg work' rather than doing a little research themslelves.

If it really bothered me (it doesn't), I know perfectly well how to
redirect your mails to /dev/null.

--
David Hart <ubuntu at tonix.org>