Kernel 2.6.15-5, udev and Inspiron 6000

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Dec 12 15:02:40 UTC 2005

Derek Broughton wrote:

> I upgraded the kernel last week.  Big mistake.
>
> 2.6.15 came with new initramfs-tools and udev (sans hotplug).  This
> coombination made my previous kernel (2.6.12-9) unworkable (because it
> seems to need hotplug).
>
> However, 2.6.15 has trouble with my SATA drive:
>
>   ata: 0x1F0 IDE port busy

Too bad nobody seems to know anything about this.

I actually _once_ got it to boot 2.6.15-5 and everything worked great -
except suspend, unfortunately, or I wouldn't have needed to reboot since.

2.6.15-7 has replaced 2.6.15-5, and udev has been upgraded to 077-0ubuntu4,
which has a changelog notice indicating that it needed to wait longer for
SATA hardware.  Now the boot process goes further, but eventually panics.

Any suggestions for getting it to recognize the SATA drives?  As it is, I'm
without wireless, external keyboard or mouse, until I get a working 2.6.15
kernel or downgrade udev to work with 2.6.12 again.
--
derek