Swapping the mainboard and CPU out... what do I need to know?

Steve bassix at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 09:00:49 UTC 2005

Senectus . wrote:
> I cooked my CPU this morning :-( so I'm swapping the mainboard and CPU
> out from an A7n8x Asus (nforce2 chipset) and AMD Barton core 2800+,
> over to an Asus A8v-MX (via K8M800 chipset) and AMD 64 3200+
> Processor. Am I going to be able to do this without formatting and
> reinstalling everything?
>
> Is there any doco or procedure for a trick like this?

You might want to google for some pointers, but basically it is very
straightforward. Remember to ground yourself. Make note of where all
cables and connectors are on the existing board. Some of the more tricky
ones are the several small connectors from the motherboard to the
chassis items such as the power button, drive light indicators etc.
Going from Asus to Asus should be pretty similar if not identical though.

As far as the operating system, everything should boot up just fine. As
you're upgrading to AMD64, however, eventually you'll probably want to
upgrade your Ubuntu kernel to the AMD64 variant someday.

Good luck!

-Steve.
--
Thunderbird :: Reclaim your Inbox :: getthunderbird.com
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings :: ubuntulinux.org