GRUB > and GRUB-install

Phillip Sc. Boegh psb at ipl.dtu.dk
Thu Dec 8 20:52:28 UTC 2005

Hi Helpers

I am making some basic setup for a graphical company to show it can be
transfered to Linux as well -bit for bit. I have no idea of dual-boot
where windows have to be included (for a windows RIP-server to BIG
printers).

As usual Ubuntu on the AMD64 do work perfect, but I cannot boot the Windows.

My /boot/grub/menu.lst (windows section) looks like this:

title windows
map (hd1)(hd0)
map (hd0)(hd1)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

The error is just: GRUB - now just like I try to boot the windows disk alone.

I have tried first sudo grub-install which gave a nice feed back refering
to both of my drives, but without any practical changed effect. Then I
started GRUB with: (looked OK in /boot/grub/device.map)
# grub
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit
To install the bootloader on the windows-drive again without any effect
(even when I did it mounts and chroot from a live-CD.

Background:
I know I am persistent as I reject to reinstall without understand why it
does not work. (I could start with Windows and reinstall the Ubuntu, and I
guess the GRUB bootloader will work. What I did was physical unplug my
Breezy and installed the windows. But I cannot get the windows started.
And after mingling I cannot even start the windows when the Ubuntu is
unplugged anymore. It freeze with GRUB (even I have rootnoverify written.
I know windows is on hd(1,0) and Ubuntu at hd(0,0) corresponding to a
ordinary fat drive at /dev/hda1 and a ext3 sata drive at /dev/sda1

My /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like this:

## ## End Default Options ##

title		Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-10-amd64-generic Default
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
initrd		/boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot

title		Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-10-amd64-generic Default (recovery mode)
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro single
initrd		/boot/initrd.img
boot

title		Ubuntu, memtest86+
root		(hd0,0)