MD RAID-1 deadlocks ?

Mike Bird mgb-ubuntu at yosemite.net
Thu Dec 8 05:12:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 20:21, Scott Henson wrote:
> At first blush it sounds like a memory problem.  But, Ive also seen this
> kind of thing with a bad south bridge.  Maybe check the mother board to
> make sure you haven't let some smoke out somewhere.  Also, if you can
> reinstall, try with out the raid and see if you still see the same
> crashes.  I truly suspect a hardware problem.

Sound advice from Scott.

You could "mdadm --set-faulty" and "mdadm --remove" to
temporarily deactivate the mirror copy from your RAID1 which
is faster and almost as good as reinstalling.

We RAID1 everything.  Some of our systems are hammered pretty
hard.  I've seen weird problems caused by overheating or
memory or various hardware weaknesses but I've never seen a
RAID1 software lockup.

--Mike Bird