MD RAID-1 deadlocks ?

Scott Henson scotth at csee.wvu.edu
Thu Dec 8 04:21:15 UTC 2005

Anders Karlsson wrote:

>Hi,
> - tried kernel 2.6.14 (took config from Ubuntu's 2.6.12 and went from there)
> - tried kernel compiled with gcc 4.0 and with gcc 3.4, no difference
> - tried with 2.6.14.3, kdb 4.4 and serial console and all available
>debug options (no Oops anywhere, just a straight locked up box)
> - currently using 2.6.15-rc4 with kdb4.4, most things compiled in to kernel

I use raid 1 all the time and Ive yet to see a hard lock that can be
attributed to it.  My first stab at it is to try the ubuntu default
kernel(linux-686 or linux-k7 which ever applies to your machine).  If
that locks up too, I would also ask you were your swap space is.  You
don't seem to mention it.  Also, where are the disks attached?  I see
you have 2 IDE raid controllers, 1 ide controller, and 2 scsi controllers?

At first blush it sounds like a memory problem.  But, Ive also seen this
kind of thing with a bad south bridge.  Maybe check the mother board to
make sure you haven't let some smoke out somewhere.  Also, if you can
reinstall, try with out the raid and see if you still see the same
crashes.  I truly suspect a hardware problem.