Connecting to the Internet

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 11:09:11 UTC 2005

Hi Bill,

On 12/7/05, Bill Cairns <CairnsWW at eskom.co.za> wrote:
> - To initiate a dial up to the network requires the root passwork (I would
> regard that as a huge security flaw)
> - There is no way of setting the connection speed and my connections seem
> slow. Very slow.
> So I have been trying other ways - some of which were suggested by people on
> this forum - to connect. I have not managed to get pppconfig with pon / poff
> to work. Yet. But I am struggling. Gnome-ppp just does not believe that I
> have a modem, I still have some other options to go ...

I think that what Winton has just suggested on this thread is OK.
AFAIK, if you sudo run something then it doesn't hurt you that bad and
you are relatively safe.  On Fedora I used to tie  tty/S0 (Serial port
0 probably) with my dial-up connection and it worked.  I guess
pppconfig must have some options for configuring connection speed,
etc.  I have no problems with Fedora Core 3, at least.  Lets see how
it goes with Ubuntu 5.10.  I'll get back to the list if I do find
problems.  I'll certainly give you my feedback on this list - same
thread.

--
Best regards,

Asif