Connecting to the Internet

Bill Cairns CairnsWW at eskom.co.za
Wed Dec 7 10:53:37 UTC 2005

NB: This email and its contents are subject to the Eskom Holdings Limited EMAIL LEGAL NOTICE

which can be viewed at http://www.eskom.co.za/email_legalnotice

I suspect that Asif is groping around in the dark in the same way that I am . Asif, there is some earlier correspondence on a thread that I initiated entitled "Modem Problems". I would like to thank all those that answered.

The first thing that I found is that it was quite easy to get connected using the standard System > Administration > Networking route. Right click on the title bar to enable an icon to make the connection easier. The disadvantages are:

- To initiate a dial up to the network requires the root passwork (I would regard that as a huge security flaw)
- There is no way of setting the connection speed and my connections seem slow. Very slow.

So I have been trying other ways - some of which were suggested by people on this forum - to connect. I have not managed to get pppconfig with pon / poff to work. Yet. But I am struggling. Gnome-ppp just does not believe that I have a modem, I still have some other options to go ...

Bill

Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:05:33 -0800
From: Asif Lodhi <asif.lodhi at gmail.com>

Shamefully, I do not know _how_ to connect to the Internet? :)  What
should I do to connect my PC to the Internet?  Only after that I can
download all the stuff you have mentioned! :)  I mean I don't know how
to create a dial-up internet connection and how to use it from a
normal user account other than root.