GNOME panel configurations

Harold Bibik hwbj at twcny.rr.com
Wed Dec 7 03:13:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 23:18 +0000, Sean Hammond wrote:

> I can never come up with anything more satisfying than the default
> Ubuntu setup. But I don't like that setup too much. For one thing
> having two panels taking up screen space all the time seems a bit of a
> waste, and most of the top panel is just empty and grey. I think I've
> come to the conclusion that the default setup Ubuntu uses, probably
> just the GNOME default, was very carefully chosen, because there
> doesn't really seem to be a better way with these panels.

I can describe what I've done.  I use only one panel that goes
completely across the top of the screen. From left to right on it are;
Main Menu, Window List, Workplace Switcher, and Deskbar
applets. Then I have icons from 8-10 of my most used apps, then the
Notification Area, Weather, Calendar and finally Log Out applets.

I keep it as narrow as possible, so it doesn't wast a lot of real
estate. It's always on top so I have quick access to my most used apps.
I prefer the Window List applet over the Window Selector. Deskbar is an
amazing applet that lets you search for anything on your computer or on
the net....I've set up hotkeys to launch terminals, switch workspaces,
etc. I also use gkrellm
to monitor the system and use the gkrellmlaunch plugin to open Nautilus
windows of my most used directories for quick file browsing. Gkrellm is
set to  remain under other windows so it
doesn't waste space.

I've tried different things but I always end up going back to something
like this.

Just experiment and try different things, you'll figure out what works
best for you

 --
"If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything."
     Harold Bibik   hwbj at twcny.rr.com