Ubuntu as Server

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 02:59:02 UTC 2005

On 12/6/05, mi cuenta <perlero at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello:
>
> We all know that ubuntu is  focused on  the desktop
>
> my question is
>
> Is it safe to use it as a critical production server on plugged to the net ?
> is it safe to use  packages from universe ?
>
> I know that the only safe computer is the one that is unplugged and stored
> on a safe box

I would say yes to both.  Mainly because I do use it as such. :)

Universe doesn't get the guarenteed security updates that main does,
however, they do roll in for packages that are important. (mysql for
example, i believe it is an exact replica of Debian stable's mysql
package so when it gets updated in debian, it gets updated in ubuntu
-- a lot of packages are in this same category.)

~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com