OT motherboard/cpu suggestions sought

Todd Slater dontodd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 21:09:11 UTC 2005

Well, the computer I built about 6 years ago is on its last legs and
I'm looking to build another, but quite a lot has changed since I
built my last one! I rather prefer to stick with AMD processors, but
don't know whether to go with an AMD 64 or not. Also, what mobo
chipset should I be looking for? If possible, I'd like to get a mobo
with onboard sound and video to save a few $$ to start. Any "gotchas"
I should be aware of in terms of using it with Ubuntu?

This will be a family computer we'll use for photo organizing/editing,
cd/dvd backup, and mostly general office apps--no gaming here.

Feel free to respond off-list to keep the chatter down.

TIA,

Todd