how do you network two Ubuntu computers with a crossover cable?

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 18:37:38 UTC 2005

Situation:

I have two computers running Ubuntu Breezy, one a laptop and one a desktop.

I have physically connected the two computers via their network cards using
a crossover cable.

Problem:

How do I get these computers to 'see' eachother, so that I can transfer
files? There seems to be no obvious way that works. The computers do not see
eachother via the Places->Network Servers window and it's not clear how to
use Places->Connect to Server to connect from one to the other. I attempted
to setup sharing with both NFS and SAMBA using System-Administration->Shared
Folders and by following the Samba instructions in the starters guide. I
also tried to activate the network interfaces using
System-Administration->Networking, and tried giving each machine an IP
address to use. All I could get was a dialog asking me for a password to
connect to MSHOME when I tried to open Places-Network Servers. This seems to
suggest that I had managed to create a network, but I never specified any
password.

I just don't know what I'm supposed to do.