Installing fonts

Keith Powell keith at keithg4jvx.force9.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 16:05:59 UTC 2005

Keith Powell wrote:

> I have some fonts (mainly TTF) which I would like to install in Ubuntu
> (Gnome), from a CD. As they are not in a repository, I can't use
> Synaptic.
>
> What is the correct way to install them, please? I have tried putting
> them in a "fonts" folder in my /home/keith directory, (which I thought
> was the correct way), but  nothing will access them.
>
> I am the only user.
>
> I can't find anything about this in the forum or mailing list
> archives. But that doesn't mean that it's not there!

Thanks, Rafael, Steve and Mauricio for your prompt and very helpful replies

The fonts are now installed and working.

I hadn't thought of looking in the wiki, just in the mailing list and
forum :-(

Also, when I previously installed them and they didn't work, I put them
in a fonts folder which wasn't a hidden one. Don't know if this makes
any difference.

I am getting more and more impressed with Ubuntu!

Thanks again,

Keith