Transition from apt-get to aptitude?

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Mon Dec 5 13:10:56 UTC 2005

janne.jokitalo at dnainternet.net wrote:
> long time ago there was a conversation about moving from apt-get to aptitude.
> There's a problem when aptitude handles dependencies etc. a little differently
> than apt-get, and thus doing 'aptitude upgrade' would cause some packages to be
> removed, and some of them include packages I'm sure I need. (like OO.o2 for
> instance)

> I vaguely remember someone posting a trick that made this go away, but I can't
> seem to find it anymore.

Aptitude does try to track what packages are installed as dependencies
and remove them when all dependencies are removed.  Are you _sure_ you
need the packages it proposes to remove?  Sometimes packages being
removed are selected due to version upgrades.

You can control this, and other aptitude behaviors, through the Menu
choices Options->Dependency handling.  Other choices are UI options and
Miscelllaneous.  When you make the change here aptitude writes your
choices out in ~/.aptitude/conf

--
    Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity