FAT32 rw problems

Steve bassix at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 21:44:16 UTC 2005

Camuzat Sebastien wrote:
> Hi everybody.
> This question is newbee-style but I must admit I did
> not solve the problem with all I know about linux
> permisssions.
>
> My fstab includes rw possiblity and when I view the HD
> properties, I have all rights to r/w on it.
>
> fstab extract :
> /dev/hdb1/media/hdb1 vfat
> user,rw,gid=1000,uid=1000,umask=000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=850
>        0       0
>
> But now I cannot write on it anymore, a message tells
> me the driver is readonly (mc message, error no 30).
>
> At boot, mounting file systems displays "failed", even
> if i was able to r/w before. But yesterday it si
> finally impossible to rw.
>
> I simply don't understand.
> Thanks,
> Sébastien

Here is what my fstab entry is and works for RW access for all users:

/dev/hda5       /mnt/d          vfat    users,rw,umask=0 0 0

Obviously you can substitute your particulars for partition "/dev/hda5"
and the mount point "/mnt/d".

I hope that helps.

-Steve.
--
Thunderbird :: Reclaim your Inbox :: getthunderbird.com
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings :: ubuntulinux.org