Why I'm saving it

David A. Cobb superbiskit at cox.net
Fri Dec 2 22:12:57 UTC 2005

Vram wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 20:55 -0500, David A. Cobb wrote:
>
>> I have needed to tear my system down and start over from the CD a
>> couple of times now.  Up until now, it has been successful to save
>> my /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and /etc/shadow files so I don't lose my
>> (human) accounts.
>>

> Why are you saving this stuff???
>
> You are starting over
>
> Just Wondering?
>
> Vram

For my human users.  I don't want to compromise anyone's privacy.  They are not "starting over."  I get enough static as it is because of instabilities in the system.  It's fair enough -- I cause most of them!  I rarely leave "well enough" alone.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.