Debian APT sources

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Dec 1 14:26:31 UTC 2005

Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:38:02 -0300
> Marcio Carvalho <marweck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> s there any problem in adding the Debian oficial stable sources to my
>> source.list???
>
> Yes, there is /are problem(s)

Not really.

> Please don't do this :)
>>
>> I wish to get the lastest debian packages for some programs.

That's an oxymoron - you can't get the latest debian packages from Stable.
Right now, because sarge is so young, it's not bad, but up until September
the Debian "stable" packages might better have been called "stale".
However, if you start trying to bring in Debian "testing", "unstable" (sid)
or "experimental" packages you are _definitely_ asking for trouble.

> Unless you know *exactly* what you are doing, and how it will affect
> your system and package dependencies, best not to do this.

I can't see any potential problem _at this time_.  Ubuntu is almost always
going to be ahead of Debian Stable.  The only time this could be an issue
is immediately after Debian releases a new Stable version, until the next
Ubuntu release - which was a matter of weeks with Sarge, but could be up to
six months.
--
derek