Firewall issues

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Tue Aug 30 13:07:29 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 13:54, Steve wrote:
> firewall test and it reported the ports it scanned were CLOSED but not
> BLOCKED. In addition it said ICMP was open (in Firestarter I did
> select "ICMP Filtering").

This isn't necessarily a bad thing; it's against internet standards to just
drop pings rather than rejecting them.  But yes, I prefer to drop as much as
possible from outside, too.

> What can I do to secure my box better? Is Shorewall better than
> Firestarter?

Yes, it's much more flexible and used more seriously for security.  But there
may still be some way to get Firestarter to do what you want; I'm not sure.

> Do I need to manually create my iptables?

Nope.  I use shorewall, and it does everything I need.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com