Raid 1 problem

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Mon Aug 29 08:58:52 UTC 2005

On zo, 2005-08-28 at 23:39 -0400, volvoguy wrote:

> This is interesting, as I've been using a software RAID1 array on my
> local Hoary fileserver for several months now. I thought perhaps it
> was because the original poster was trying to boot from RAID, but the
> bug doesn't seem to be isolated to that situation.

The OP (me) was a bit too nervous to sound all comprehensive all the
time. The problem seems to be (according to the bugreports in the ubuntu
and debian BTSes) that device nodes are created too late and mdadm gets
confused by that. Adding a 'sleep 3s' to the appropriate initscript
works around this problem for me. Not too elegant, but it works.

By the way: I am not booting from raid :)
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org