Firefox slow compared to mozilla.org version

Ben eelgrease at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 00:33:17 UTC 2005

Has anyone else noticed this? Try downloading the official installer from
mozilla.org and comparing the speed it loads web pages with the ubuntu
firefox (perhaps time some Slashdot pages with lots of comments).

On my two systems there's a massive difference between the two - the
ubuntu version is painfully slow on my AMD-K6, but the mozilla version is
fine. I wonder why?

Cheers,

Ben

PS: Be aware that switching between two versions of Fx may
mess up your profile directory. I'll probably have to wipe
~/.mozilla/firefox and re-install all my extensions now.