multi x users

Martin Schmeisser schmeissermartin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 18:28:21 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 26.08.2005, 18:16 +1000 schrieb Daniel Stone:
> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 17:36 +0000, Martin Schmeisser wrote:
> > i have a NVidia GeForce FX 5500 with 2 outputs (one VGA, one DVI). I got
> > it to run wit NView or Xinerama multihead. However i would love to have
> > actually 2 xservers, each for one monitor and each with its own mouse
> > and keyboard.
> >
> > I understand that this has been done with XFree. One of the desciptions
> > used and a kernel patch called ruby the other one didnt [1][2].
>
> Ubuntu already incorporates the 'multiseat' package which sets this all
> up.  We didn't patch the kernel at all with the Ruby stuff, but instead
> wrote a few patches to Xorg (which have all been merged upstream for
> 6.9/7.0) to fix it all up.
>
> However, it doesn't apply to you, sadly.  You can't drive a single video
> card (two outputs or not) with two different X servers, so you're
> basically limited to one session.  Unless, of course, you did some
> amazing acrobatics with Xdmx or so ...

Hi, thanks for the input.

i do still have one of these old 2D video cards. i built it in to try
out the multiseat package, i can live with another card in there.

however, im kind of lost now: multiseat doesn't have a manpage, the only
executable it installs is 'multiseat-configurator' which just returns 0
after calling. i found out, that this is because i dont have
a /etc/multiseat.conf ... however i dont have no idea what to put in
there.

do you know of a manual, howto or refernce for this or if you dont could
you please explain me what to do?