Dial up transfer rates

postmast3r postmast3r at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 16:16:16 UTC 2005

On 8/25/05, squareyes <squareyes at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
> in the mornings Gkrellm shows my dial up transfer rates to remain
> reasonably constant
> between 3.5/kbs and 5.0/kbs. In the evening after 7.00pm the rate spikes
> (for want of a better term)
> very severely from 5 down to 0/kbs, and remains on 0  up to 30secs. or
> more. My Isp says this can't happen
> have the usual isp who has nothing to do with Linux, and I have been
> told it must be my machine, or me.
> When I tell them that my computer has not been turned off for 3 months,
> and I am pretty sure
> Ubuntu is not afraid of the dark, they still don't believe me. Works OK
> in the morning, maybe it needs to
> go to bed early.
>
> My question is,   is there any way I can generate a log file that shows
> my connection speed, and
> second by second my transfer rate,for maybe a minute, that I can print
> out and email them.
> Personally I think it's an exchange problem as I have to go through a
> few to finally connect to my isp.
> This problem even occurs on connecting to my isp's mail server, so slow
> sites are not all the problem.
> I can live with a slower speed if it remains constant, but have been
> losing downloads when it drops back to 0.
>
> A screenshot of Gkrellm here
> http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/squareyes/png.html

During the time that you have slow speeds, when you disconnect from
your ISP and pick up a regular phone that uses the same line, do you
hear static or any kind of interference or even another active
conversation or a radio station or something on the phone line when
calling another person on that line?  If so, then the problem might
not be your machine or your ISP and may just be something going on
with your phone line that you'll need to contact your phone company
about.