Ubuntu and P6BAT-ME (sound)

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 15:36:19 UTC 2005

On 8/26/05, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Alvin Thompson wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 10:09 +0200, Renaud Vernet wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> has anybody managed to get the sound working under ubuntu with the ECS
> >> P6BAT-ME motherboard, who has an integrated sound chip ?
> >>
> >> In case yes, was it regognized by ubuntu at installation or did you
> >> compile it yourself ?
> >>
> > in my case, the sound card WAS working but the mixer settings were
> > hosed, making me think it wasn't working. in the Volume Control app,
> > go to Edit-->Preferences, and add (check) all the controls listed there.
> > then play with them to see if things start to work. in my case, there
> > was an "External Amplifier" switch which was set to 'on' after then
> > install; when it's on i get no sound.
>
> LOL.  I just reached the opposite conclusion today...  I hadn't been able to
> figure out why I got no sound since some update in breezy.  Today I
> discovered that _my_ sound card _requires_ "external amplifier" set ON.  I
> still can't get notifications, but who wants computers that make
> noises. :-) It'll play my CDs and DVDs now, and that's good enough.
> --

Hallelujah!  This got me working on Volume Control again, and I got joy.
In my case it turns out I had let my intuitions lead me astray.  I thought if
I wanted sound, I should just fool with "Playback".  It turns out I have to set
a non-zero "Volume" in the capture side.  Even after success, this seems
just plain misleading, bordering on just plain dumb.

End result: I'm getting notifications (if that's the clicks and beeps
that go along
with my mouse actions) in Hoary Ubuntu.

I don't even see an "external aplifier" but that's probably because of my
sound device, which is Crystal Fusion, not a motherboard builtin.

The idea to take away: one should probably set ALL sliders midrange, and
eliminate all the visible red X's that one can.

Cool!
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD