Ubuntu and P6BAT-ME (sound)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Aug 26 18:55:38 UTC 2005

Alvin Thompson wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 10:09 +0200, Renaud Vernet wrote:
>> Hi,
>> has anybody managed to get the sound working under ubuntu with the ECS
>> P6BAT-ME motherboard, who has an integrated sound chip ?
>>
>> In case yes, was it regognized by ubuntu at installation or did you
>> compile it yourself ?
>>
> in my case, the sound card WAS working but the mixer settings were
> hosed, making me think it wasn't working. in the Volume Control app,
> go to Edit-->Preferences, and add (check) all the controls listed there.
> then play with them to see if things start to work. in my case, there
> was an "External Amplifier" switch which was set to 'on' after then
> install; when it's on i get no sound.

LOL.  I just reached the opposite conclusion today...  I hadn't been able to
figure out why I got no sound since some update in breezy.  Today I
discovered that _my_ sound card _requires_ "external amplifier" set ON.  I
still can't get notifications, but who wants computers that make
noises. :-) It'll play my CDs and DVDs now, and that's good enough.
--
derek