[MOTU] Need updated versions of packages... where to ask ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat Aug 27 06:19:15 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 02:32 +0200, Sebastian M=?ISO-8859-1?B?/A==?=sch
wrote:
> > I tried compiling the latest version of avrdude, but as "expected" ;-/
> > it failed. The "./configure --prefix)/usr" works, but the "make" fails
> > almost instantly :o(
>
> As somebody told me, the best way of learning is "trial & error". Maybe
> you'll need some hints like "install the old flex before compiling" from
> time to time, but this list surely would, if you ask.

Hi Sebastian,

I have eventually managed to compile the latest tarball of avrdude,
yahoo !!! :o)

The problem was that I ended up having to install THREE packages
(texi2html, texinfo (in order to get text2div), and tetex) to make
'make' happy !!  I don't understand, I thought that 'configure' was
precisely supposed to check for all dependencies BEFORE compiling !
I am lost... Or maybe it's just the config script that's crappy ?

Anyhow, I have now the tarball of the up to date package, I have managed
to compile it on an up to date Breezy, so I guess it must be possible to
make a package of it and ask the MOTU guys to triple-check it so they
can upload it to Universe ?? But hey wait a minute, now I think of it,
when I compiled it, I ran "checkinstall", which did make nice DEB
package, can't we just upload that to Universe ?? Does the package need
some further processing before inclusion ??

Regards,

--
Vince, getting there...