X question (Fatal Server error: no screens found)

Randy Forston rforston at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 26 23:01:22 UTC 2005

Soo-Hyun Choi [shchoi at gmail.com] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been re-assembling my PC hardware such that I swapped my graphic
> card from PIC no 1 to PCI no 3 because of space problem with ohter
> PCI devices.
>
> Now, I re-started Ubuntu (Hoary 5.04) but it says it failed to load
> X. What it says is
>
> Fatal Server error:
> no screens found
>

> So what I did was re-run "X -configure" but it also generates the same
> error message. If I do "xorgcfg" then I can see the black and white
> screen but nothing else than that.
>

> If I see the file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log/; then I could see it was
> trying to scan PCI and finally it doesn't detect my graphic card.
>
> Of course, before I swapped my graphic card, my Ubuntu system ran
> very well with no problem.
>
> Anyone could give me some advice on this?
>
> Thanks,

Reseat the card.

I'd first try removing the PCI card, using a very soft pencil eraser on the
gold contacts of the card, (to remove dust, etc. ), then wipe the contacts
with a soft cloth to remove any remaining eraser bits.

Then I'd reseat the card, firmly, and try again.

If you get the same result, try the first PCI slot to confirm the card is
still  in working order.

Perhaps, the second slot will work.

I've seen slots go bad in older motherboards, for one reason or another.

Randy
rforston at earthlink.net