SCSI : "hot" plugging scanners ?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Aug 26 16:17:14 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 00:05 +0100, Andrew Millar wrote:
>> I know this probably isn't very helpful, but, does the scanner actually
>> use that much power? I wouldn't have expected it to use much at all.
>
> It's like a leaking water tap Andy, no matter how little it leaks, it
> can't be justified and always going to be pure waste of ressources and
> money ! ;-)
> So it has to be stopped...
> Same for my laser printer, it's turned off by default. I print very
> little, say one page per day, averaged over a year, so even keeping the
> LEDs lit is not acceptable ;-)

No kidding.  I have an offgrid home.  My single largest continuous-use
electric appliance is the ventilation fans - running around 60W.  If I left
my (laptop) computer, modem, printer & scanner on all day, even at idle
power consumption, I'd have to add at least one solar panel!  Printer &
scanner are never on except when used - and I haven't even plugged in the
scanner for over a year.
--
derek