How to enable ext3 extended attributes for removable disks (for Beagle)?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri Aug 26 17:08:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 16:38 +0300, ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY wrote:
> it doesn't show up in the "mount" output.
> That's normal, and yes, it *does* work!

Ok, thanks :)

> To make sure, run "sudo tune2fs -l /dev/XXXX", and search fot the two
> lines that start with "Filesystem features:" and "Default mount
>         Filesystem features:   has_journal ext_attr dir_index filetype
> needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
>         Default mount options: user_xattr acl
> (the "ext_attr" and "user_xattr" are the ones you're looking for.)

I did what you suggested, and now I am still unsure, because i get no
ext_attr in filesystem features which was at first not surprising, since
I didn't set it with tune2fs.

mario at phonic: ~/Desktop $ sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sdb1|grep attr
Default mount options:    user_xattr
mario at phonic: ~/Desktop $

However, if I try to set it:

mario at phonic: ~/Desktop $ sudo tune2fs -o ext_attr /dev/sdb1
tune2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
Invalid mount option set: ext_attr

So what gives? Do I need ext_attr too?  From what I get from google (not
much) I suspect that ext_attr is maybe obsolete and in any case not
needed if I'm only interested in user attributes for beagle - it seems
to have more to do with ACLs.
In fact, man mount talks about user_xattr in the filesytem-specific
options, but not at all about ext_attr. Hmmmm....

About user_xattr/nouser_xattr man says, "Support "user." extended
attributes (or not)", which again makes me believe it is enough.

Thank you,
Mario