How to enable ext3 extended attributes for removable disks (for Beagle)?

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Fri Aug 26 13:38:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 09:39 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 03:30 +0300, ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY wrote:
> > The above command will set the *default* mount option to include
> > "user_xattr" unless overridden by the actual "mount" command (or the
> > options in "/etc/fstab").
>
> Thanks for the tip. I also checked with dump2fs as suggested by Magnus
> Therning in the other reply, and it in fact lists "Default mount
>
> However, when I execute "mount", it still says:
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/sdb1 type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>
> I.e., user_xattr is not mentioned. How do I know that
> gnome-volume-manager's mount command does not override the default
> setting?
>
> Kind regards,
> Mario

I have "user_xattr" set, but it doesn't show up in the "mount" output.
That's normal, and yes, it *does* work!  Why am I certain?  Because I
use "acl" a lot and it doesn't show in the output of "mount" either.
Still, ACL does work.

To make sure, run "sudo tune2fs -l /dev/XXXX", and search fot the two
lines that start with "Filesystem features:" and "Default mount
        Filesystem features:   has_journal ext_attr dir_index filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
        Default mount options: user_xattr acl
(the "ext_attr" and "user_xattr" are the ones you're looking for.)

Ziyad.