linux newbie; apt-howto

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Aug 26 08:27:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:44:10 +0200
Praveen Kumar <kattapraveen.kr at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> thanks everybody for helping me out with installing the *.deb packages
> (remember the stupid question)... i have learnt both to install suing
> the terminal (dpkg) as well as the synaptic package manager... though
> synaptic is nice, it is still better to stumble around finding my way
> as i think it is a better way to learn the ropes of linux.
>
> once again thanks everybody.
> praveen kumar

As others have said, using the apt-get or aptitude tools is one of the great advantages of Debian based distros like Ubuntu.
For more than you ever wanted to know about apt/dpkg:    ;-)

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

Or you can type

sudo apt-get install apt-howto

Then type " apt-howto" in your terminal and it should open in a browser for you!

Welcome to Ubuntu!

Peter

--
Linux User #343161