linux newbie

Jonathan Saylor jvsaylor at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 01:44:28 UTC 2005

praveen,

  that is not a "stupid question", personally I dont manually installing
packages because that is why the fine util apt is for. so I dont have to
think about it.  synaptic is a good gui front end for it, but I still
find myself going back and using apt via the cli. (command line
interface).  now there are times when dpkg knowledge is great.  3rd
party non-apt-repositoried packaged or when wanting to make my own
package because the package maintainers dont include something I
want/need/like.

dpkg -i  <package> is the short answer.

other advice from someone who has used linux for sometime now. linux is
highly documented on the web and in man pages installed by default are a
wealth of information, as are info pages. (man <application name>  or
info <application name>).. if you have a question that you feel is a
simple question or is a "stupid question" you might be able to achive
your answer faster by using those 2 resources alone.  hoped I could be
somewhat helpful.

Jon