SCSI : "hot" plugging scanners ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri Aug 26 01:39:15 UTC 2005

> I installed and used the scsiadd utility -- it does exactly what you
> want. I used it all the time for EXACTLY the same reason up until a
> few weeks ago.
>
> There may be some way to make hotplug see it, but I never figured that out.
>
> BTW to all the detractors -- a few months ago I walked into my office
> and smelled smoke. It didn't take me long to discover it was my Agfa
> SnapScan SCSI scanner. The MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor -- same component
> in a cheapo surge supressor) -- burned up, as they apparently tend to
> do. It probably would not have set fire to the office, but I caught it
> quickly so I didn't find out. I was able to replace the MOV and it
> still works, but I NEVER leave it on anymore. Before that happened, I
> left my scanner on most of the time because the lamp turned off
> automatically and I figured the power draw was minimal.

Wow, what a story ! :-)
I never would have thought that there would be someone else anywhere
with the hardware and same weird idea ! :-O :o)

As posted earlier, turns out I don't need any extra software and that I
just need to reload the card's module, but thanks for telling me about
scsiadd, that reminded me that I should have at least searched Synaptic
for 'scsi', and I would have found it instantly !
Always search Synaptic, always search Synaptic, Synaptic is your friend,
Synaptic is your friend... one more time... Always sear... ;-)

I am glad your scanner (and office !) are still in one piece, btw...

--
Vince