Updatedb Time

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Aug 25 15:19:04 UTC 2005

Jack Jackson wrote:

> Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
>> On do, 2005-08-25 at 07:37 -0400, Jack Jackson wrote:
>>
>>>I remember vaguely some people discussing this a couple weeks ago; how
>>>can I change the time at which updatedb runs? Right now it begins just
>>>about when I do, at 7.30 am!
>>

>> Change it in /etc/anacrontab (updatedb is run from cron.daily via
>> anacron)
>>

> Thanks, Dennis. I still have some questions though. /etc/anacrontab says:
> I checked both man files and the only thing I see about time is
>
>   Job-description lines are of one of these two forms:
>
>            period  delay  job-identifier  command
>
> so I see that the period is 1, the delay is 5 - how can I convert that
> to run at 3.30 am as opposed to 7.30 am?

IF it's running under anacron, it doesn't run at 7:30 - it works like you do
and runs 'delay' minutes after you boot up (or at least, after anacron
starts).

However, anacron isn't running if the machine is turned on - so then you
need to either remove updatedb from cron.daily and create an entry
explicitly for it in /etc/crontab (with whatever crontab editor is
appropriate on your system - I use kcron, it's better not to do it by
hand), or modify /etc/crontab to do runparts on cron.daily at 3:30 instead
of 7:30 (just change the 7 to a 3) - then _all_ of your cron.daily jobs run
at the same time.
--
derek