Updatedb Time

Jack Jackson jackson.linux at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 13:21:51 UTC 2005

Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On do, 2005-08-25 at 07:37 -0400, Jack Jackson wrote:
>
>>I remember vaguely some people discussing this a couple weeks ago; how
>>can I change the time at which updatedb runs? Right now it begins just
>>about when I do, at 7.30 am!
>

> Change it in /etc/anacrontab (updatedb is run from cron.daily via
> anacron)

Thanks, Dennis. I still have some questions though. /etc/anacrontab says:

# /etc/anacrontab: configuration file for anacron

# See anacron(8) and anacrontab(5) for details.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# These replace cron's entries
1       5       cron.daily       nice run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
7       10      cron.weekly      nice run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly
@monthly        15      cron.monthly nice run-parts --report
/etc/cron.monthly

I checked both man files and the only thing I see about time is

  Job-description lines are of one of these two forms:

           period  delay  job-identifier  command

so I see that the period is 1, the delay is 5 - how can I convert that
to run at 3.30 am as opposed to 7.30 am?

:)

Thanks!